Pegasus with Erato

Title

Pegasus with Erato
front left oblique view

Description

One of a pair; designed for the Imperial Opera House in Vienna; briefly installed on that building, but thought to be out of scale and taken down. Bought by Philadelphian Robert Gratz who gave them to the Fairmount Park Commission, they were set up in front of Memorial Hall for the Centennial Exposition of 1876.

Creator

Pilz, Vincenz (Austrian sculptor, 1816-1896)

Source

Ralph Lieberman: Architectural Photography
Photographer: Ralph Lieberman

Date

1861, installed 1876

Rights

Ralph Lieberman
This image has been selected and made available by Classicizing Philadelphia using ARTstor's software tools. Classicizing Philadelphia makes this image available for non-commercial educational, scholarly, and artistic purposes and disclaims any liability for any use of the image or associated data. ARTstor has not pre-screened or selected this image, and therefore disclaims any liability for any use of this image. Should you have any legal objection to the use of this image, please notify Classicizing Philadelphia and ARTstor's Contact for Legal Notices.

Relation

CP2015-038

Identifier

CP2015-038

Coverage

Memorial Hall, Philadelphia PA
Repository: Memorial Hall, Philadelphia PA.

Files

9212282-Pegasus_Erato.jpg

Collection

Citation

Pilz, Vincenz (Austrian sculptor, 1816-1896), “Pegasus with Erato,” Classicizing Philadelphia, accessed June 22, 2017, http://classicizingphiladelphia.omeka.net/items/show/131.

Social Bookmarking